Monday, September 3, 2007

My First Shish Kebab

Seen against the vast backdrop of history; compared to the rise and fall of empires; placed beside such cultural landmarks as the founding of Troy, the signing of the Magna Carta, and the Coolidge Administration's Revenue Act of 1924; the grilling of a shish kebab in our back yard may seem trivial.

For me, however, it stands as a great watershed in the history of my grilling. For today I prepared a meal on the grill which involved more than mere flipping of meat.

I can't take complete credit. It was my wife's idea. She prepared the skewers, using meat, carrots chunks, and pieces of potato which she had heated in the microwave. She also provided the vegetable oil, and told me to wipe it on the skewers, to prevent the food from getting overly dry.

Nonetheless, it was I who stood out there by the grill, carefully observing, swabbing, and turning the skewers.

For a first attempt, it came out very well.

I was so enthused by this attempt, that I made a video. It's been mercifully edited down to 12 or so minutes. The muttering you hear is me. I didn't think to try narrating the thing until rather late in the game.

Without further ado: "My First Shish Kebab." (This link will send you to the video, as presented on my Central Minnesota Theater, a small but growing collection of online videos.)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Brian, Thanks for sharing your first kabob event.
If you're up for it here's another kabob you can make.
Shrimp, red bell pepper, pineapple, red or Vidalia onion, and on the side you can roast some corn on the cob in their husks - make sure you soak them in water for 10-15 minutes.
Be sure to follow your wife's suggestion with the oil.
Yikes, my mouth is watering!
Let me know how it goes.

Brian H. Gill said...

Morgan,

(Very late) Thanks for the shrimp, pepper and so on idea.

Eventually, I'll probably try that.

Corn on the cob in the husk I've done (rarely) - soaking them in water would make it less - exciting? - than the experiences I had.

Brian H. Gill said...

I almost never print out comments - but I'm doing so in this case. Between my memory for this sort of thing, and other factors, it's the only way to ensure that I take action.