Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Doing Outdoor Grilling Outdoors: What a Concept!

I ran into this post today:
"Outdoor Grilling: Do it Outdoors!"
RecipeTips Blogs (June 30, 2008)

"Those of us who live in the northern latitudes and who have suffered through a particularly brutal winter could hardly wait until we were able to fire up the grill for the first time this past spring. Yes, I know it's possible to use your outdoor grill during the winter months, even in the coldest climates, and many folks in the upper Midwest do just that, but I suspect that a majority of us are not too keen about grilling a steak or flipping a burger outdoors on a breezy January afternoon of minus 10 degrees with a wind chill of 45 below. ... No, personally, I'd much rather wait until the sun is shining, the birds are singing, the temperature is a balmy 60 degrees (hey, that's balmy around here!), and the fruits of my grilling labor can be enjoyed outside on the patio.

"Okay, perhaps a lot of you are thinking: 'During the wintertime, you can always push your grill into the garage and use it in there if you want to feel a bit warmer.' Aha…okay…I know that plenty of people do that very thing, but I wish they wouldn't, because there's just one little point that some people forget when they use their grills inside…IT'S DANGEROUS!!!..."
The photo (the full-size version is on the RecipeTips Blogs post - you're looking at a thumbnail) shows what happened after someone decided to grill chicken in the garage.

That's not the garage, I understand. The garage was (past tense, notice) on the other side of the house.

I'll admit it: I've grilled in the garage. Once or twice. More like in the garage door, actually. Not the best idea, though: the author makes some good points.

For the record, though: grilling in winter, outside, isn't as bad as the author seems to think it is.

I suppose I'm biased, though, since I regard my home, here in central Minnesota, as being 'down south.'

No comments: