Friday, May 28, 2010

Gas Meter Moved, Website Updated: That's Progress!

Two more-or-less-unrelated things happened today.
  • A crew from our gas utility came, moving our gas meter and re-routing the gas line
  • I updated the Easy Griller website
Both of those events have something to do with grilling: and both are long-overdue.

Back in March, I assumed that our gas utility would take care of finding the utility lines and spray-painting our yard. It's that 'call before you drill' thing that's mandated here in Minnesota.

Time passed. About a month later, we started asking questions. Turns out, a supervisor at the utility hadn't been letting work orders leave his desk. I had a nice chat with one of about 10 guys who were out in our part of Minnesota, sorting out the mess that supervisor had left. As the fellow I talked to said, 'he isn't working with the company any more.'

The good news is that the - ah, relaxed? - supervisor apparently hadn't destroyed any work orders. He'd just left them at his desk.

So, we had spray paint on our grass. I waited for the crew to come out and do the digging it'd take to relocate the gas meter.

I should be pretty good at waiting by now: I've had a lot of practice this year.

Another phone call. I explained that the original coat of paint was disappearing as the grass grew - and that they'd need to come out for a second coat. Oh, yeah - about moving the gas meter?

Another fellow came, touched up the original lines and added a few more (May 25, 2010) - and yesterday a couple young men came with shovels, a DitchWitch, and assorted other tools.

I get the impression that some homeowners they've been talking with aren't as friendly as I was. Me? I'm delighted to see that the utility is following through on this project.

If all goes well, work on the new patio will start next Tuesday.

I'm looking forward to that.

No comments: